I discovered this versatile and flavor-packed recipe in a Bon Appétit magazine from last year. As a result I always keep a can of chickpeas in my pantry for a spontaneous salad based on what else I’ve got on hand.
Try some variety, such as using feta instead of parmesan and adding kalamata olives, or substituting curry powder for the cheese and Meyer lemon juice for regular lemon, and add golden raisins, shredded carrots, and sliced green onion. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination.
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas/garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil (I grow purple basil and use it for added color)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 4 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, pressed
- 1/3 cup (packed) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- coarse kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
Combine the chickpeas, basil, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic in a medium bowl. Add the grated Parmesan cheese and toss gently to blend all the ingredients thoroughly. Season to taste with the salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
This salad can be prepared up to 4 hours ahead, and can be served chilled or at room temperature.