Hearty Slow Cooker Pot Roast
There are many slow cooker pot roast recipes out there. Based on what I’ve tried, I’ve come up with this one – I love the thick, tasty gravy that develops, along with just the right combination of vegetables. You can adjust the quantities according to the size of your slow cooker, this recipe fills mine to capacity.
- 2 1/2 – 3 lb. boneless pot roast
- 1 can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 1 small tub Knorr concentrated beef stock (or equivalent beef base paste)
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 3 yukon gold potatoes, quartered, or 4 – 6 small red potatoes, halved
- 2 medium parsnips, sectioned
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces, or 3/4 cup baby carrots
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
Coat the pot roast with kosher salt, pepper and flour. Heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a skillet and sear the roast on all sides.
In the slow cooker, whisk together the golden mushroom soup, beef stock, and red wine. Place the vegetables into the crock pot. Place pot roast on top and coat with the soup mixture.
Cook on High setting for 3 to 4 hours, or on Low setting for 8 to 9 hours.